Monday, February 28, 2011

Manhood looms ever closer....

My baby just keeps growing and growing!! Somebody tell me how to stop it please! On February 8th, Connor hit another milestone on his trail to being a "man"! He earned his Arrow of Light award in Cub Scouting. This is the highest award you can earn in Cub Scouting, basically the "Eagle" of Cubs. Because he's 10 and earned his Arrow of Light he crossed over into Boy Scouts!! There's a little ceremony where the entire Boy Scout troop comes in and they read a little poem and Connor walks over a bridge to join the troop. It was darling, I'll admit I got a little bit choked up but managed to keep it together. I was being a total flake that night and didn't take my camera, so I got no actual pictures of the ceremony. Needless to say, we are, once again, so incredibly proud of our little man and all of his many accomplishments. He's so excited to be a Boy Scout and he's totally gung-ho to start earning those merit badges!

In fact, as luck would have it, they had an overnight campout and Merit Badge jamboree last weekend. Connor was so excited to go (he's never been camping...we slack) and Darrin was excited to go with him! Unfortunately weather was not on our side. My poor guys went and camped out in a freaking hurricane!! I kid you not, it poured and poured all night long and there was gale force winds! Laying in my bed at home I couldn't even sleep listening to the sound of the weather outside. Connor texted me at 6:30am and said "Camping did not make a good first impression, but we're alright." Troopers, both of 'em!! He was only able to stay for half of the merit badge jamboree the next day (baseball season has begun and he had practice), but he earned his "Electronics" merit badge and did a bunch of requirements on his trail to First Class. All in all, he had a great time and is still excited for the next campout. It can only get better, right?


Lashing a flagpole!

The finished product! Look how proud he is!


If only he concentrated that hard on everything he did! This is part of the Electronics merit badge.


Can you say wet? This is just from the run from the car into the church building!



2 comments:

Lori said...

I'm so proud of him (and darrin) for going! Sounds pretty bad, but he's going to love camping. It's awesome that he is excited about merit badges. He'll have his eagle before you know it. Love him!

Devyn said...

We should start camping together....it'd be a good family getaway. He will probably love it next time.